- Requisition Number: 152688
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Certified Medical Assistants
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a MagnetÂ® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolinaâ€™s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Job Title: MEDICAL ASSISTANT, CERTIFIED
Job Code: 4261
Job Level: C1
Revised Date: 09/01/2019
Supervisory Responsibility: No
General Description of the Job Class
The Medical Assistant, Certified functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The Medical Assistant, Certified performs routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Health System medical practice that assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure the clinic/office runs smoothly.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Clinical responsibilities:
- The CMA takes medical histories and records vital signs, explains treatment procedures to patients, and prepares patients for examinations and procedures.
- Patient care support responsibilities may include assisting the medical and nursing staff during examination and procedures, collecting and preparing laboratory specimens, performing basic laboratory test in the clinic/office, taking electrocardiograms, removing sutures/ staples, changing sterile and non-sterile dressings, promoting patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care, and documenting in the patient record.
- Other clinical support responsibilities include disposing of contaminated supplies, instrument processing, high-level disinfection and sterilization of medical instruments, telephoning prescriptions to a pharmacy, preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician, and authorizing drug refills as directed.
- Performs other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the physician.
- Administrative responsibilities:
- The CMA greets patients, answers telephones, schedules appointments to include arrive appointments in MaestroCare, check-out patients, and referral scheduling; arranges for hospital admissions and laboratory services, updates and files patient medical records, fills out insurance forms, handles billing, bookkeeping to include receiving copays and collections on account balances; correspondence, and ordering clinical and clerical supplies and forms. Performs other administrative duties as directed.
- May be requested to be a liaison for clinic activities such as Joint Commission and falls and/or participate in clinic committees.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Level I -- Graduation from accredited Medical Assistant program strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level II -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level III -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level I -- No experience required.
Level II -- Must have at least 1 year of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
Level III -- Must have at least 3 years of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
Note: 1 year of experience will be provided for an Associate degree in Medical Assisting.
General Ladder Statement: In addition to the education and experience noted, applicants must meet all requirements set forth in the Medical Assistant, Certified (CMA/RMA) Ladder Program document for Levels II and III.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Level I -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Level II -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Level III -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good customer service skills.
- Work requires the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions generally acquired through a high school education and medical assistant programming.
- Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients may be required.
- Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable for work in a clinic setting. Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions.
- Age-specific competencies.
- Daily clinic preparation process; registration, scheduling, charge posting, order entry. Able to document and communicate pertinent information
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and clinic staff
- Typing skills
- Medical terminology
- Levels II and III -- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Code: 00004261
Job Title: MEDICAL ASSISTANT, CERTIFIED
Job Level: C1
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Certified Medical Assistants