- Requisition Number: 136131
- Department: DUKE PRIMARY CARE
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Certified Medical Assistants
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke Primary Care is the largest primary care network in the greater Triangle area with family medicine and internal medicine providers, and pediatricians in 34 locations throughout the Triangle.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
MEDICAL ASSISTANT CERTIFIED-DPC FLOAT POOL-FULL TIME
The Medical Assistant, Certified functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The Medical Assistant, Certified performs routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Health System medical practice that assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients an d ensure the clinic/office runs smoothly.
- The CMA takes medical histories and records vital signs, explains treatment procedures to patients, and prepares patients for examinations and procedures.
- Patient care support responsibilities may include assisting the medical and nursing staff during examination and procedures, collecting and preparing laboratory specimens, performing basic laboratory test in the clinic/office, taking electrocardiograms, removing sutures/ staples, changing sterile and non-sterile dressings, promoting patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/ her involvement in the plan of care, and documenting in the patient record.
- Other responsibilities include disposing of contaminated supplies, instrument processing, high level disinfection and sterilization of medical instruments, telephoning prescriptions to a pharmacy, pre paring and administering medications as directed by a physician, and authorizing drug refills as directed. Performs other clinical functions as de legated and supervised by the physician.
- Administrative responsibilities-the CMA greets patients, answers telephones, schedules appointments to include arrive appointments in MaestroCare, checkout patients, and referral scheduling; arranges for hospital admissions and laboratory services, updates and files patient medical records, fills out insurance forms, handles billing, bookkeeping to include receiving co-pays and collections on account balances; correspondence, and ordering clinical and clerical supplies and forms. Performs other administrative duties as directed. May be requested to be a liaison for clinic activities such as Joint Commission and falls and/or participate in clinic committees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good customer service skills. Work requires th e ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions generally acquired through a high school education and medical assistant programming.
- Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheel chair patients may be required .Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients. Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable for work in a clinic setting.
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety pre cautions.
- Age specific competencies
- Daily clinic preparation process; registration, scheduling, charge posting, order entry.
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information Ability to establish and maintain effect ive working relationships with patients and clinic staff
- Typing skills, medical terminology
- Levels II and III -- Ability to independently seek out re sources andwork collaboratively
Level I -- Graduation from accredited Medical Assistant program strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level II -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level III -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health
Education Schools (ABHES) strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level I -- No experience required.
Level II -- Must have at least 1 year of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
Level III -- Must have at least 3 years of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting. Note: 1 year of experience will be provided for an Associate degree in Medical Assisting.
General Ladder Statement: In addition to the education and experience noted, applicants must meet all requirements set forth in the Medical Assistant, Certified (CMA/RMA) Ladder Program document for Levels II and III.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Level I -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Level II -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Level III -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Certified Medical Assistants