- Requisition Number: 173153
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Certified Medical Assistants
- Employment Status: PRN
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a MagnetÂ® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolinaâ€™s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Duke Health Care System Pain Clinic seeks to hire a Certified Medical Assistant who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together! This will be a PRN position that will support the clinic on a as needed basis.
The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The CMA performs routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Health System medical practice, they assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure the clinic/office runs smoothly.
* Must be able to work 8:00am - 4:30am one day per week
Administrative duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Answer telephones
- Greet patients
- Update and file patient medical records
- Fill out insurance forms
- Handle correspondence
- Schedule appointments
- Arrange for hospital admissions
- Arrange for laboratory services
- Handle billing and bookkeeping.
- Perform other administrative duties as directed.
Clinical Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist medical and nursing staff in a variety of tasks including:
- Taking medical histories and recording vital signs
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examinations and procedures
- Assisting the physician during the examination and procedures
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- Perform basic laboratory tests on the premises
- Dispose of contaminated supplies Sterilize medical instruments.
- Promote patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care, and document in patient record.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician
- Authorize drug refills as directed Telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy.
- Draw blood
- Prepare patients for x-rays, tests and procedures.
- Take electrocardiograms Remove sutures/ staples.
- Change sterile and non-sterile dressings.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent is required
- Graduation from the following (depending on CMA Level) is strongly preferred
- CMA I - An accredited Medical Assistant program
- CMA II or CMA III - A Medical Assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
- The following years of experience is required based on the CMA level (Note: 1 year of experience will be provided for an Associate degree in Medical Assisting):
- CMA I - no experience required
- CMA II - Must have at least 1 year of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
- CMA III -- Must have at least 3 years of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA is required
- BLS Certification is required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Certified Medical Assistants