- Requisition Number: 167864
- Department: DUKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Licensed Practical Nurse
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke Regional Hospital has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville and Alamance counties and the surrounding communities for nearly 40 years. With more than 1,900 employees, its focus is on providing outstanding medical care with compassionate, personalized service in a comfortable community hospital setting. Duke Regional Hospital has 369 inpatient beds and offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's services, and heart and vascular services, and also offers care at the Duke Rehabilitation Institute and Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center. In fiscal year 2018, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 16,299 patients and had 165,953 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as #10 in North Carolina and #4 in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2018-19.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a MagnetÂ® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolinaâ€™s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Duke University Health System- Duke Regional Hospital is now seeking to hire a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - experienced or new graduate to join the team who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
The Gen Medicine & Dialysis 5-1 Unit at Duke Regional Hospital is comprised of a 36-bed Medical Unit. Our patients have a wide range of diagnosis from GI, Sepsis, pneumonia and In-patient dialysis. Our team is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time.
Rotating shifts with every other weekend rotation.
Assume responsibilities for direct nursing care of assigned patients under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician in patient care area. Administer medications and special nursing care techniques prescribed for assigned patients. Provides nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the scope of the LPN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
- Administer medications as prescribed by physician and employ special nursing care techniques as required; administer intravenous medications and fluids as directed; maintain required records.
- Provide and document direct nursing care of assigned patients under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
- Nursing care is guided by the physician orders and the nursing plan of care.
- Patient response to care is reported to a registered nurse for evaluation, intervention and modification of the plan of care.
- Assist other health care personnel in the delivery of patient care.
- Assist physicians and other nursing personnel in the performance of various diagnostic procedures.
- Evaluate nursing care with emphasis on nursing procedures and patient responses; assist in the delivery of nursing care and selection of nursing priorities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of general policies and procedures to provide for the emotional and physical comfort and safety of patients; participate in the formulation of new policies.
- Participate in maintaining the environment of care including equipment and other material resources.
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational performance improvement opportunities and assists in performance improvement activities.
- Assist with control of material resources and maintenance; assist in appraisal of effectiveness of material and equipment and report any equipment malfunctions to charge nurse.
- Participate in in-service education programs and other conferences within the service. Assist in the training of new employees.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience
- Knowledge of scope of licensed practical nurse, ability to delegate to nursing support staff.
- Considerable knowledge of the care and treatment of patients and special procedures that apply to practical nursing.
- Able to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively.
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others. Able to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up.
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area or organization.
- Use fine motor skills.
- Record activities, document interventions.
- Use computer and learn new software programs.
- Navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients.
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Able to remain focused and organized.
- Knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable to work in a hospital.
- Knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other regulatory requirements.
- Two years of experience preferred
Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required:
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Licensed Practical Nurse