- Requisition Number: 6815
- Department: DUKE PRIMARY CARE
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Shift: Full Time
Duke Primary Care is the largest primary care network in the greater Triangle area with family medicine and internal medicine providers, and pediatricians in 34 locations throughout the Triangle.
This position is a floating position that will float to various Duke Primary Care practices as assigned daily.
Duke Primary Care has family medicine providers, internal medicine providers, and pediatricians in more than 40 locations throughout the Triangle, and a growing list of Duke-friendly health plans.
Work Hours & Shifts:
Full Time: Day Shift
CMAs/RMAs perform routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Primary Care medical practice. They assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure office runs smoothly.
- Answer telephones
- Greet patients
- Update and file patient medical records
- Fill out insurance forms
- Handle correspondence
- Schedule appointments
- Arrange for hospital admissions
- Arrange for laboratory services
- Handle billing and bookkeeping.
- Perform other administrative duties as directed.
- Assist medical and nursing staff in a variety of tasks including:
- Taking medical histories and recording vital signs
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examinations and procedures
- Assisting the physician during the examination and procedures
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- Perform basic laboratory tests on the premises
- Dispose of contaminated supplies Sterilize medical instruments.
- Promote patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care, and document in patient record.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician
- Authorize drug refills as directed Telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy.
- Draw blood
- Prepare patients for x-rays, tests and procedures.
- Take electrocardiograms Remove sutures/ staples.
- Change sterile and non-sterile dressings.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience Required:
Certification or Registration by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCCT, or ARMA is required.
Certified Medical Assistant, Medical Assistant, CMA, RMA, MA, AAMA
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.