- Requisition Number: 193253
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Nursing Assistants
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Nursing Care Assistant I or CNA II Duke University Hospital - Unit 6300 - Rotating
Duke University Health System- Duke University Hospital seeks to hire Nursing Assistants who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
Work Hours & Shifts:
- Full Time: Day/Night Rotating (7a-7p) and (7p-7a); usually 1-2 weekends per month
Perform a variety of nonprofessional nursing duties in the direct care of patients under the direct supervision of an RN/LPN. Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific procedures and provide manual assistance as required. Obtain and record patient data for medical records noting and informing RN/LPN of information collected. Administer treatment and personal care procedures to patients including, but not limited to:
- Feeding, bathing, shaving, changing clothing, cleaning and trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting with ambulation, enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder elimination.
- Provide such additional care as required to meet the personal needs and comfort of assigned patients.
- Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching instructed by RN and/or physician as needed.
- Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by helping position patients, changing non-sterile dressing and weighing patients.
- Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags, administer douches and enemas.
- Note and report any changes in patient's condition. Turn and position patients, set up and feed patients as necessary, provide patients with fresh drinking water.
- Perform finger sticks for blood glucose testing, with appropriate training. Assist with admission, discharge, and transportation of patients.
- Follow standard precautions and use personal protective equipment as required. Collect, deliver and conduct routine tests on patient specimens.
- Clean assigned area; stock and replenish supplies and equipment as required.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining required skills validation and attending educational offerings. Support the development of other staff and formal learners.
- May also perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48 hours old, IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric feeding and urinary catherizations/irrigation. Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience Required:
- No previous work experience required. Prior experience preferred.
- Completion of a Level I - Nurse Aide education program approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing or successful completion of the NC - approved Nurse Aide I competency test.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
Licensure, Certification or Registration Required:
- Currently listed as a Nursing Assistant I (NA I) with the Division of Facility Services with no substantiated findings of abuse, fraud, neglect or misappropriation of property.
- BCLS certification must be maintained/completed by the end of new hire orientation, which typically takes place during the first week of employment.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.