- Requisition Number: 94308
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Nursing Leadership
- Employment Status: Full Time
General Description of the Job Class
Provide overall direction and leadership for assigned clinical areas on a 24 hour basis; ensure the effective administrative management of clinical functions related to personnel and policy in order to meet the mission of patient care, education and research within a fiscally responsible organization.
Duke Children’s Hospital is a self-contained "hospital within a hospital" on the fifth floor of Duke University Hospital. The Duke Children's Health Center (adjacent to DUH) and Lenox Baker Children’s Hospital down the street from DUH, provides an attractive, family-friendly setting for a variety of specialized pediatric services.
- Pediatric ICU
- Pediatric Cardiac ICU and Pediatric Cath Lab
- Pediatric Cardiac and Complex Care
- 5100 Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and Specialty Services
- 5200 Pediatric BMT
- 5300 Pediatric Medicine and Surgery
About Duke Health
Duke University Health System is one of the premier centers for pediatrics in the United States. Duke Children’s is ranked among the top 50 children's hospitals nationally in nine specialties by U.S. News & World Report, which just released their 2020-2021 rankings of the best children's hospitals. The specialties are cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, neonatology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, pulmonology, and urology. In 2021, the Duke Central Tower opening will create a move to a new inpatien bed tower consisting of 4 floors and 128 beds dedicated to caring for children.
As a health system, Duke is the 2nd largest employer in the state of North Carolina with over 30,000 employees. For years, Duke has ranked among the best institutions in the country for students and patients as a top university and hospital with some of the best graduate programs. Duke has been named as a best place to work by several publications and organizations, including Carolina Parent, Computerworld, The Scientist, and the American Association of Retired Persons, among others. The organizations recognizing Duke represent a diverse range of interests, from family-friendly and preventive health to the needs of IT professionals and academic researchers.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Direct and coordinate work of designated employees, manage personnel activities to meet Clinical Service Unit (CSU)/Departmental, Hospital and Health System objectives related to the provision of patient care within designated clinical areas.
- Help to lead/guide implementation of the Duke Quality System which is our Lean management system to reduce harm.
- In collaboration with other administrative leadership, develop strategic and operational plan for assigned clinical area(s). Communicate plans and continuously evaluate plans.
- Develop and communicate vision for unit care delivery models and facilitate ongoing refinement of such models.
- Provide developmental opportunities for direct reports.
- Serve as clinical operational liaison with administrative and professional personnel concerning unit and/or departmental, Hospital and Health System policies and procedures, personnel administration and budgetary preparation and control.
- Maintain interface with departmental personnel to coordinate clinical operational activities to ensure adequate staffing, space and facilities, coordination of purchasing, maintenance and renovation activities for the operational areas, administer a program of property management and accountability. Determine and recommend necessary space, equipment, supplies and support systems to ensure effective functioning of unit/department. Ensure safe environment of care for all staff, patients, and families. Ensure effective processes for staff development, recruitment and retention. Develop and support unit, shared governance structure. Assure staff participation in departmental and Organizational Nursing Structures.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Master's Degree and Bachelor's Degree in Nursing is required.
- Five years of nursing experience is required including at least 2 years of experience in a management role.
- Strong foundation of pediatric experience at an Academic Medical Center preferred but not required.
- Experience leading large team of multidisciplinary members.
- Experience working with Pediatrics providers
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
- Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina.
- BLS certification required.
- Nurses hired into leadership positions must obtain a nursing leadership certification within one year of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to manage multiple organization missions. Facilitation, consensus-building, and negotiation skills
- Sensitivity for and understanding of clinical disciplines and issues.
- Understand cost containment and managed care systems.
- The ability to work with all types of individuals in multiple settings and locations and to promote diversity in the workplace.
- Knowledge of necessary regulatory bodies including North Carolina Nurse Practice Act.
- Expert communication skills.
- Knowledge or experience with quality and process improvement initiatives is desirable
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Essential Physical Job Functions
- Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.