- Requisition Number: 199071
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke University Hospital; Inpatient Pediatric Pharmacy; Durham, NC
Full time (40 hours/week): Rotating morning (6:30am-3pm, with 9am-5:30pm some weekends) and evening shifts (3pm-11:30pm) with overnight on-call rotation and some overnight coverage (9pm-7:30am). Includes weekdays and every other weekend, and holiday coverage.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform under supervision a variety of technical duties related to the preparing and dispensing of drugs according to standard procedure.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Prepare intravenous admixtures or other sterile products.
- Fill physician orders/prescriptions, medication carts, or stock requisitions.
- Deliver medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas.
- Answer telephones and directs calls to appropriate personnel.
- Enter charges and credits for patient medications.
- Enter medication orders/prescriptions into the pharmacy computer system.
- Provide technical support for automated equipment.
- Maintain logs, records and other required documentation. File documentation in the appropriate location.
- Complete and document all assigned medication storage area inspections at least monthly. Identify and replace outdated and unusable drugs. Monitor assigned quality improvement indicators of individual or departmental performance. Stock medications and supplies; package medications as required for dispensing.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of drug names, basic math, medical terminology, basic computer skills.
- Ability to compound medications and admix intravenous products including antineoplastic drugs under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Pharmacy Tech I: High school diploma or equivalent and completion of an accredited pharmacy technician-training program. or Acceptance into pharmacy school. or High school diploma or equivalent and one year of pharmacy or health care related experience.
- Pharmacy Tech I: N/A
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Pharmacy Tech I: Must be registered with the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy within the first 180 days.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.