- Requisition Number: 100001721
- Department: DUKE HOMECARE AND HOSPICE
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Shift: First/Day
- Specialty: HomeCare & Hospice
This is a PRN position (as needed). Perform a variety of non-professional nursing duties in the direct care of patients in the home under the direct supervision of an RN/LPN. Work week and schedule may be all weekdays, day shift 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific procedures and provide manual assistance as required.
- Obtain and record patient data for medical records noting and informing RN/LPN of information collected.
- Administer treatment and personal care procedures to patients including, but not limited to, feeding, bathing, shaving, changing clothing, cleaning and trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting with ambulation, enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder elimination; provide such additional care as required to meet the personal needs and comfort of assigned patients.
- Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching instructed by RN and/or physician as needed.
- Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by helping position patients, changing non- sterile dressing and weighing patients.
- Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags, administer douches and enemas.
- Note and report any changes in patient's condition.
- Turn and position patients, set up and feed patients as necessary, provide patients with fresh drinking water.
- Perform fingersticks for blood glucose testing, with appropriate training.
- Assist with admission, discharge, and transportation of patients.
- Follow standard precautions and use personal protective equipment as required.
- Collect, deliver and conduct routine tests on patient specimens. Clean assigned area; stock and replenish supplies and equipment as required.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining required skills validation and attending educational offerings.
- Support the development of other staff and formal learners.
- May also perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48 hours old, IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric feeding and urinary catherizations/irrigation.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable to work in a hospital .
- Working knowledge of the organization and physical layout of the hospital.
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients to various hospital locations may be required.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and hospital staff.
- Working knowledge of principles and practices of providing non- professional bedside patient care.
Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required: Click here for more information
Level Characteristics N/A
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring HomeCare & Hospice