- Requisition Number: 120471
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Surgical Services/OR
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Are you an experienced Registered Nurse who is seeking greater exposure to a diverse service portfolio?
If so, then this is the job for you! We are seeking a Clinical Nurse II (RN) in a hybrid position to support both our Short Stay Unit and Surgical Care Unit at Duke University Hospital. Discover Opportunities for a Lifetime at Duke Health!
Surgical Care Unit is a 23-hour post-operative, observation unit (12-bed unit). You will be responsible for the recovery care of the post-surgical patients who have been transferred from the PACU to include but not limited to: initial and on-going assessment of the patient's condition; administering of medications; initiation of any support therapy that is indicated, i.e. physical therapy; wound care, ADL care; etc.
Short Stay Unit is a 23-hour post-operative, observation unit (9-bed unit). You will be responsible for the recovery care of the post-surgical patients who have been transferred from the PACU to include but not limited to: initial and on-going assessment of the patient's condition; administering of medications; initiation of any support therapy that is indicated, i.e. physical therapy; wound care, ADL care; etc.
Preferred qualifications: At least one year experience in general surgery/medical patient care. Experience in care of the intermediate and step down patients or general medicine/surgery experience.
Shift requirements: Three 12-hour shifts, 7:00am-7:30pm - Weekends and holidays per unit requirements.
Job requirements include:
- Plan, provide, supervise and document professional nursing care utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures. Use professional nursing judgment to individualize the plan of care based on assessment of the patient's baseline needs and response to care.
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed and unlicensed care providers.
- Assist other nursing personnel in the delivery of nursing care and act as team leader or charge nurse for a group of patients or an entire unit as assigned.
- Monitor and initiate corrective action to maintain the environment of care including equipment and material resources.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Act as preceptor and support the development of other staff and formal learners.
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational performance improvement opportunities and in performance improvement activities.
- Graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program.
All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete the program within five years of their start date.
- 1 year of experience in clinical nursing practice.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Must have current or compact RN license in the State of North Carolina.
- BLS certification is required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.