- Requisition Number: 88953
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Surgical Technologists
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Shift: 3- 12 hour days 6:00 AM - 6:30 PM, with call and weekend rotation.
Calling All Veterans – Operating Room Specialists and Surgical Services Professionals!
If you've been in the service for more than one tour, your life is about to change substantially, and there are decisions that deserve research and thought before you transition back to civilian life. At Duke Health and Duke University Health System, we value veterans for their training, discipline, leadership, dedication and experience supporting our country. We support military hires from the beginning, including competitive salaries, full suite of benefits and total rewards and platforms to show military pride such as our Duke Health and Duke University Health System Veterans Affinity Group (https://sites.duke.edu/dukemilitaryassociation). We offer ongoing support, recognition and development of veteran employees from the time they're hired through your employment relationship with Duke. Continue to read to learn more about Surgical Technologist opportunities with Duke Health!
Surgical Technologists (ST) are allied health professionals who assist in the preparation and care of surgical patients ranging from infancy to geriatrics under the general direction of a professional nurse. The ST possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a surgeon’s performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
- Graduate of a surgical technologist program or military equivalent experience required.
- One year of experience as Surgical Technologist experience strongly preferred, CT OR experience a plus.
- Surgical Technologist certification through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting within one year of hire and maintain throughout employment required; certification at time of hire preferred.
- Military equivalent or completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps referencing the following:
- Surgical Service Craftsman 4N171
- Surgical Service Journeyman 4N151
- Surgical Service Superintendent 4N191
- Operating Room Specialist 68D
- Operating Room Specialist 91D
Duke Health Highlights
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses.
- Surgical Technologist Professional Development to include: clinical advancement ladders, education reimbursement and certification assistance.
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance Offered to Experienced Surgical Techs Moving from out of State.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.