- Requisition Number: 172828
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Specialty: Nursing Assistants
- Employment Status: Full Time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a MagnetÂ® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolinaâ€™s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Health Unit Coordinator – Duke University Hospital – Adult Medicine Stepdown (Unit 4300)
Duke University Health System seeks to hire a Health Unit Coordinator who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
The Adult General Medicine Intermediate/Stepdown Unit (4300) is comprised of 31 beds. Our team of nursing staff provide exemplary care for a variety of complex patients with diagnosis such as Sepsis, Sickle Cell, GI Bleed, End Stage Renal Failure, Diabetes, Cirrhosis and Behavioral Health Disorders.
- 3 DAISY Awards – for providing extraordinary compassionate care to their patients and families every day!
- Strengths in teamwork, multi-disciplinary collaboration and professional respect – we offer a dynamic environment for professional development.
We offer flexible scheduling - 3, 12 hour shifts, 36 hours per week. Full Time.
This position collaborates with healthcare providers by performing a variety of clerical duties to support patientcare. Duties include greeting patients and visitors, answering the telephone, responding to patient's requests, accessing the electronic medical record(EMR), scheduling appointments and providing general clerical support as needed by the department. This position will consistently exhibits excellent customer service skills.
What you will do:
- Answer patient signals and relay request to appropriate individual.
- Place calls for consultations as needed
- Understand and is able to use the manual back up system as needed.
- Assemble and maintain patient charts from admission through discharge
- Prepare and upload paper documents into the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Navigate electronic medical record, access patient information, generate reports, schedule appointments and manage task list.
- Use available technology to request and coordinate patient transport.
- Assign nursing staff to communication systems.
- Assist in reviewing clerical duties and responsibilities with new staff members.
- Order supplies for the unit; maintain inventory and replenish as necessary.
- Copy, file, mail and/or distribute materials as appropriate.
- Maintain records as required by the unit (i.e. time sheets, continuing education information, etc.).
- Schedule maintenance in automated schedule system as directed by Nurse Manager or designee
- Generate reports as directed by Nurse Manager or designee (Example: compliance)
- Participate in review of activities and processes for area of work.
- Assists in implementing changes to effect continual improvement in services provided; and complies with regulatory and legal requirements
- Exhibit professional communication skill when answering the telephone and interacting with patients, visitors and other staff members.
- Round and greet patients each shift and explain their role.
- Greets patients, visitors, physicians and employees in a pleasant manner and refers to appropriate areas as needed.
- Answers phones, screens and refers calls as appropriate, delivers messages and provides information to patients, visitors and personnel upon request.
- Assist unit management in tracking inventory, stocking issues and maintaining adequate patient care supplies.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of HIS procedures and of manual procedures when the system isdown.
- Successful completion of TJC and other regulatory/designated requirements within the probationary period.
- Knowledge and understanding of telephone etiquette.
- Knowledge of general clerical practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of spelling and medical terminology.
- Ability to apply specific departmental rules and regulations relating to verifying, processing and maintaining records and forms.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to operate computer terminal and other office equipment.
- Ability to write legibly.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other personnel.
- Graduation from high school or GED; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience
- Six (6) months of work experience related to customer service
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.